Mary made this salad for our hike up Sawnee Mountain (pictured) back in May. Everyone loved it, so we thought we would share again for those who are just joining. The original recipe came from Daphne Oz on The Chew.
Quinoa is one of the few plant options that constitutes a complete protein. If you are a vegetarian this salad is for you. If you eat meat you can add chicken strips or salmon. Mary adds some feta cheese and tops with pine nuts for some added crunch. Very versatile and yummy!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cooked to package directions)
- 3/4 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed) can use black beans
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c scallions (thinly sliced)
- 3 Tabs extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup or honey
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. For the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and mustard. Stir well. You can add your protein of choice right to the top of a big bowl of this Warrior Salad, or enjoy it alone. This recipe also packs well for lunches.